It’s that time of year again, my blog anniversary and the post in which I pick the ten best books I’ve reviewed this year. As always, it’s a difficult choice. Basically, it usually comes down to the ten books that are most memorable to me.
This year, most of the books were historical novels. There are lots of good ones around lately, but also I think maybe I’ve been reading more of them. No nonfiction, I’m afraid, although I have read some good ones.
So, with no further ado, here they are, in order of my reviews:
- Crow Lake by Mary Lawson
- Golden Hill by Francis Spufford
- Minds of Winter by Ed O’Loughlin
- Transcription by Kate Atkinson
- The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley
- The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
- Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift
- Washington Black by Esi Edugyan
- The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanigihara
- Milkman by Anna Burns
The Best Book for this period is Milkman by Anna Burns!
The Best Book for this period is Little by Edward Carey! Also recommended: The Children’s Book by A. S. Byatt!
The Best Book for this period is The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara!
An extra fun recommendation is The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer!
The Best Book for this period is Washington Black by Esi Edugyan!
The Best Book for this period is Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift!
The Classics Club is having another spin. For that, we post a list of twenty of the books from our Classics Club lists, and then Classics Club picks a number, and that’s the book we read next. The goal is to read the book by October 31st.
So, here is my list for Spin #21:
- I Go by Land, I Go by Sea by P. L. Travers
- The Old Man’s Birthday by Richmal Crompton
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
- Oroonoko by Aphra Behn
- The Wise Virgins by Leonard Woolf
- The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster
- Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
- The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault
- Edward II by Christopher Marlowe
- The Viscounte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas
- The Winged Horse by Pamela Frankau
- August Folly by Angela Thirkell
- Kenilworth by Sir Walter Scott
- Evelina by Frances Burney
- The Prince by Machievelli
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Challenge by Vita Sackville-West
- The Sea Hawk by Rafael Sabatini
- My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin