As on my previous blog anniversaries, here is my annual post of the 10 best books I read this year. As always, this list involves some tough choices. For example, if I read more than one terrific book by the same author during the year, I only pick one, and that choice may be fairly arbitrary.
These books aren’t listed in any particular order, just the order that I reviewed them. They can be from any genre and from any time period. There are some classics as well as new books on this year’s list. Again, unusually, this year’s list contains one nonfiction book (The Warmth of Other Suns) and one book of short stories (Family Furnishings).
- The Death of Bees by Lisa O’Donnell
- Euphoria by Lily King
- Miss Marjoribanks by Margaret Oliphant
- A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley
- Family Furnishings by Alice Munro
- A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
- The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth
- The Blazing World by Siri Hustvedt
- Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey
- The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson